Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sunday Funday

It's raining in South Africa.  It might just be Cape Town/Durbanville, but there's so much rain that I'm pretty sure it's all of South Africa.  In fact, it may even be all of Africa.  They told me it would be rainy, and they said to bring a rain coat.  What they did not say was that it is monsoon season.  It's cool, I survived Hurricanes Andrew and Dennis.  But again, it's raining in Africa.

Today was my first day worshiping at Durbanville Presbyterian Church.  I was asked to lead the prayers of the people, which I've done before so it was no problem at all.  What was a problem was when I started crying in the middle of a very familiar hymn (Battle Hymn of the Republic...go figure), which came right before the prayers.  I think it was the combination of jet lag, dehydration, gloomy weather and, oh yeah, a familiar hymn.  I'm certainly not home sick yet, but the familiarity of that song, for some reason, got me.  So when I stood up to deliver the prayer, I started with a thanks for their hospitality.  My voice was a little croaky, and so I was honest with them and said the service had me a little choked up.  It's all so new, and yet not.

The best part of the evening service was when the pastor started talking about hand bells in his sermon.  I'm sure my face lit up (see I'm Here!!).  Then, the greatest moment of my life happened.  The pastor said, "I meant to ask Bethany if there is a hand bell choir at her church in the states."  I seriously could have died right there.  It will surprise no one (I'm looking at you, Liz) to learn that I'm a bit of a hand bell geek.  I wanted to whip out my phone and play the episode of Atlanta Sounds that we recorded for WABE.  And then I would regale them with tales from trips and performances.  THEN, I would tell them harrowing stories of times I was the worst hand bell player in the world.  I did not do any of those things.  As my dad always told me: you don't have to tell everything you know.  Besides, it wasn't my sermon.  So, when the pastor said, "I meant to ask Bethany if there is a hand bell choir at her church in the states," and then looked at me for confirmation, I responded, "I'm in it."  Self-control, you have met your match.  Facial-expression-control, you have not...yet.

I can't decide what my win for today is, so maybe y'all can help.  1) Being asked to pray, spontaneously, at the second service.  Seriously, the pastor, after his sermon, said, "And now Bethany is going to lead us in a word of prayer."  Excuse me?  And then...nailed it.  2) Finally gaining somewhat of an understanding of cricket.  It's seriously the most complicated game ever, ever, ever.  Ever.  But now that I know what an over is, I'm pretty sure I win at life.  3) My first taste of Malva Pudding.  It's maybe the best thing I've ever put in my face.

And I ate every bit of it.


Ooh, and I didn't post my win from yesterday.  I'm officially a fan of the Stormers.  They're Cape Town's rugby team.  I watched a match at the pastor's house yesterday.  Because I'm a sports fan (thanks, Dad!), I totally got it.  Plus, they won.  So tonight, at the very casual evening service, the pastor told the congregation that I'M A TALISMAN FOR THE CAPE TOWN STORMERS!!!!  This is my first time ever being a good luck charm.  Don't any of you ruin it for me.  

Tomorrow I go to work (at half past eight, mind you).  Let's see what kind of mischief I can get into there.

8 comments:

  1. You are going to miss those rains one day; Toto has lived it and says it will be so (sorry...I had to).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Want to take a guess how many times that song has run through my head in the last week?

      Delete
  2. "Bless the rains down in Africa..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought it was "I miss the rains down in Africa." I was going to make some snarky comment about how close you were, but decided to look it up just in case. I was wrong. Well played, Mother. Well played.

      Delete
    2. http://dailypicksandflicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/i-miss-kansas-i-miss-the-rains-down-in-Africa-Wizard-of-Oz-Dorothy-and-Toto.jpg

      Delete
    3. Sorry - you'll have to cut and paste.

      Delete
    4. Best blog comment yet. Philip wins.

      Delete
  3. I'm a big fan of extemporaneous prayer in worship. If we script out everything we do, it's easy to assume that we have control over how God works through us in worship. I'm both excited and not surprised that the Holy Spirit empowered you to speak beautifully.

    Is there a handbell choir in South Africa in which you can participate?

    ReplyDelete