Friday, May 24, 2013

I'm Here!!

The wifi in the Joburg airport didn't work very well so I didn't get to post this.  So I didn't just land, but I'm just now on wifi.  Enjoy!

I arrived in Johannesburg about an hour ago.  My flight was long.  Long.  LONG.  It was a very long flight. That’s the longest I’ve ever been on an airplane.  It was a lovely airplane, with lovely flight attendants and lovely movies and lovely food.  Oh, and booze. 

I watched two movies and every episode they had of three different television shows.  I walked all up and down the plane.  I made friends with the guy sitting next to me.  He was headed to Malawi, so we talked about that.  His name was Bobby. 

Then we landed.  It was pretty routine, except when the plane rocked back and forth a bit.  That was fun.  I got off the plane and after wandering around for a few minutes, was eventually told I needed to go back and start over.  It was the South African version of “You’re doing it wrong.”  So I went back to baggage claim because they told me I had to re-check my bags, they weren’t going to do it for me. 

Once I stepped into the arrivals/departures section of the airport, I was greeted by a very friendly man who just wanted to help.  I was grateful because I was completely lost, and clearly my face told that story.  He hustled me up the stairs and to the machine to print my boarding pass and then to check my bags and finally to security.  Then he asked for money.  And not just money for himself, but for every person who helped along the way (there were at least half a dozen).  I was so stunned (and tired) that I flat out refused.  He argued with me for a moment and I eventually handed him ten Ren, at which he scoffed because that’s about fifty cents (I think…I’m still working that out).  I glared at him with tired, angry eyes, totally offended at the notion that "help" really meant "payment for service."  He rolled his eyes at me and sent me on my way.  

So, two lessons I’ve learned so far.  The first: I might not be a bad haggler.  The second: CONTROL YOUR FACIAL EXPRESSIONS.


It’s a lesson I’ve been trying to learn for a very long time.  Now that it’s going to get me in trouble in a foreign country, I’ve got to be really diligent about looking like I’m totally in control of every situation I encounter.  Who knew ministry lessons would start at the airport?

11 comments:

  1. I can tell I'm going to like this travelogue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Joburg airport is infamous, babe. I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bethany Benz: The Face of Contextual Field Education.

    May the adventures continue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent new nick name. Everyone in the Durbanville Pres. youth group has one, so I'm sharing this one with them.

      Delete
  4. Glad you made it there safely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth,
    two words...Odd Bins
    find the nearest grocery store that carrys them. Look for a 425

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you made it safely! I'm not at all surprised that you made friends with the person on the plane next to you. Crazy extroverts...

    ReplyDelete
  7. And that's just the first day! Can't wait for more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a treat for them -- Africa will never be the same when you come home! I hope every minute of your time there will be a confirmation of your call to ministry -- and a joyful one at that! Have fun, and remember how much you are loved on this side of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Show them South African's whaddup!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need this facial expression reminder, too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete