Saturday, May 25, 2013

A Thank You Letter to My Parents

Dear Mom and Dad,

Remember all those times I resisted learning how to drive a stick shift but you made me learn anyway?  Yeah, me neither.  But I'm super glad you did teach me because that's what they have me driving here.  The thing you did not teach me, however, was how to drive on the left side of the road.  We're going to have to have a serious discussion about that.  I am woefully unprepared for life in South Africa.  Geez.

No, but seriously, I drove a car.  That's my win for today.

The steering wheel is on the right side of the car.  Fortunately, the gears are all in the same place, but I have to do it with my left hand.  That time we went to London when I was seven and you rented a car...you really should have taught me how to drive it.

Also, I'm grateful that you taught me to read a map.  I haven't gotten one yet, but when I do, I'll know how to read it.

I was supposed to go into town and buy a map and get a SIM card for my phone.  Those things did not happen.  After I went the wrong way down a one way street (these things should really be marked at the intersection, rather than 1000 yards in), I decided that was enough driving for one day.  Then it took me twenty minutes to find my house, which is probably about two minutes from town.

There are no street signs.  The name of the street is painted on the curb (which is called the pavement), and it's unclear to which street it's referring at intersections.  I was told I live on Bijl Street.  I do not.  I live on Vander Byl.  I'm starting to wonder if Vander means Street.  And if I was given the wrong spelling of Byl.

You see how I'm adapting?  You taught me this.  Way to be, Mom and Dad.  This is why I'm terrified of having children...because I'm certain I'm not going to be as good at it as you were (and are).  But I was terrified of coming to South Africa, too.  So there's that.

Anyway, I hope you're not worrying too much.  I know you're dying to see my face, but I promise it hasn't changed since that time I lived in America.  Probably by the time I get back, it will be wise with age and experience, but right now it's still the same.  Say your prayers at night and don't do anything you wouldn't want me to hear about.

Go Braves,
Bethany

P.S. I love you

3 comments:

  1. GO BRAVES! Also, meters, not yards. There's probably an app for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are adapting so well! Bijl is the correct spelling. Vander (or van der) means "of the/from the." So Vander (of the) Plas (pond) means "of the/from the pond" (probably the name of a family who lived close to some pond). Bijl means axe (in Dutch at least). So I guess you're living on the "of the axe" street. Glad you're blogging about your experience. Never been to SA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What would I do without you, Jenn? I'm going to send you every strange word I see, in hopes of learning a little Dutch while I'm here. I do not, however, plan to learn Afrikaans.

      Delete