Saturday, April 7, 2012

How Reformed?


So the church is changing, right?  I'm resistant to that change, despite my claims of being left of Canada and always open to change.  Despite the fact that we are "Reformed, always reforming."  And despite my having embraced so much change in my own life recently.  But this...  This is too much.  I like high church.  I connect to hymns written by old, dead, white guys.  I even believe every single thing in the Nicene Creed (with the exception of a paternalistic God, but whatever).

Did you notice what just happened?  I resisted change so much that I went back to the Nicene Creed, which was written long before the Reformation.  My point is that I'm a fan of both.  There is value in each, and being so far removed from them, having reaped the benefit of them, it's easy to see that value.  But what do we do when the change is right in front of us and we're going to be the ones responsible for breaking down the system and rebuilding it in a fresh, new way?

It's a scary proposition, one which puts the change in my hands.  Part of the reason I'm so resistant is because I see all these new models of church popping up and I listen to their theology and it's just bad.  So I want to be the new model with the old theology.  But it's entirely possible that the old theology is bad, too, I'm just not willing to admit it.  Rodger Nishioka said to me recently that this change which is coming is really what Jesus intended.  The church isn't meant to be at the center of the universe, ruling over all, because that's not what Jesus did.  Jesus lived on the fringes, on the margins, and he preached to the marginalized.  Maybe this new way of churching is how we'll go back to the fringes, instead of keeping ourselves at the center.

No comments:

Post a Comment